viernes, 25 de noviembre de 2005

GEORGE BEST

(☼ BELFAST, 22-05-46 – † LONDRES, 25-11-05)
IN MEMORIAM


"When the football was great and I was playin' well I couldn't wait to get up in the morning and that was the foundation of my life." (Cuando el fútbol era genial y yo jugaba bien no veía el momento de levantarme por la mañana. Ese era el fundamento de mi vida.)


"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." (He gastado un montón de dinero en priva, tías y coches rápidos. El resto lo despilfarré.


"In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol and it was the worst 20 minutes of my life." (En 1969 dejé la bebida y las mujeres. Fueron los peores veinte minutos de mi vida.)


"I said years ago that if you'd given me the choice of going out and beating four men and smashing a goal in from thirty yards against Liverpool or going to bed with Miss World it would have been a difficult choice. Luckily, I had both." (Dije hace años que si me hubiesen dado a elegir entre regatear a cuatro tíos y clavar un gol desde treinta yardas contra el Liverpool o acostarme con Miss Mundo hubiese sido una elección complicada. Afortunadamente, pude hacer las dos cosas.)


"They say I slept with seven Miss Worlds. I didn't - it was only four. I didn't turn up for the other three." (Dicen que me acosté con siete miss mundos. Es mentira, fueron sólo cuatro. A las otras tres les di plantón.)


"I'm OK. Much better than on other occasions. It's true that I've made lots of mistakes but I've never tried to bother anyone, ... I want to stay alive, preferably in peace, without seeing every one of my mistakes in the papers, and on many occasions, even stories that are lies." (Estoy muy bien, mejor que otras veces. Es verdad que he cometido un montón de errores pero nunca quise molestar a nadie, ... Quiero seguir viviendo, preferiblemente en paz, sin tener que ver cada uno de mis errores en los periódicos, incluso, en muchas ocasiones, historias que no son verdad.)


(Trad. Alfredo A.)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario